RE: Usefullness of computational linguists in reaching the Singularity

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@webmind.com)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 15:20:22 MDT

There is no doubt in my mind that an AI, to get really smart really fast,
will have to learn human language so it can learn from us, conversationally
and through reading texts.

There are three ways to approach this:

1) Build a smart system and teach it human language

2) Build a smart system and hope it learns human language on its own

3) Build a smart system and *wire knowledge of human language into it*, in
such a way that this knowledge can be mutated and improved freely by the
system as time goes on

4) Build a smart system and carefully engineer the structure so that
learning human language will be relatively easy, then teach it human
language

In Webmind Inc., we experimented with approaches 2) and 3), inconclusively.

2 didn't work, but there were known shortcomings in the system's cognition
modules (it wasn't that smart!).

3 didn't work, but we didn't get through more than 30% of the work it would
have taken to make it work. What you need to do is take all the parts of
the NLP pipeline and implement them using completely flexible, learnable
"schema": tokenization, morphological analysis, parsing (using lexicalized
feature structure grammars, context-free grammars, or whatever framework),
semantic mapping, discourse planning, sentence generation, reference
resolution, etc. There's a lot of stuff there, and a lot of knowledge in
the NLP community about how to do it.

Our current plan is approach 4. From all our work on approaches 2 and 3, we
understand pretty well what kinds of cognitive structures are needed to make
language learning work, so we can 'prime' the system for language learning
in various subtle ways, without building in any specific linguistic
knowledge, rules, etc. We believe the human brain comes primed for language
learning in similar ways.

If you're going to study computational linguistics and are interested in
real AI, my advice would be to focus on *unsupervised language learning* and
on *combining syntax and semantics in the course of processing*. These are
cutting-edge topics which are closer to a "real AI" approach to language
than plain vanilla computational linguistics. Most computational
linguistics is based on either hand-coded rules, or supervised learning from
corpuses, and while this stuff is interesting, it doesn't teach you that
much about how to make software that *really understands* human language.

-- Ben G