RE: Augmenting humans is a better way

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@webmind.com)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 06:13:36 MDT

> > So I'd be tempted to say that, at the moment,
> > research
> > into neural interfaces seems further along than research into AI.
>
> I guess this is a silly debate. Both fields are at a relatively primitive
> stage, far from achieving their end goals. Is super-low-res vision closer
> to real brain-enhancement than Deep Blue and EURISKO are to real AI? Who
> was the greater President, Lincoln or Washington or FDR? Who's a cuter
> French actress, Julie Delpy or Juliette Binoche?

A related observation is: in AI we have mavericks like myself who believe
they are pretty close to getting a real AI built.

Who are the associated mavericks in neural enhancement? Who believes that
superhumanly-intelligent modified brains are a few years off if all goes
well? I don't know any such people, but perhaps I just move in the wrong
circles...

Of course, just because there are more optimistic AI mavericks than
neuro-enhancement analogues doesn't prove anything... it could be that for
some psychological reason, AI attracts more optimistic individualistic
zealots.

ben g