Re: Augmenting humans is a better way

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 16:19:32 MDT

Brian Atkins wrote:

> My understanding though is this is not neuron-level integration. It is
> a very blunt hack. In terms of direct neuron input/output things are still
> at the handful-of-connections phase I believe. In fact we have met with
> someone here in Atlanta that works with a Dr. Kennedy who has a company
> commercializing this direct neuron tech for patients that cannot move.
> I believe it was asked of him when will the number of neurons we can
> connect up start doubling every year, and he suggested never.

I just want to post a fast amendment of this - we asked a person who was
with Neural Signals, not Dr. Kennedy himself, and I don't recall he said
"never", but he did give the impression "not in the foreseeable future".
I'd like to ask Dr. Kennedy the same question at some point.

Also, I'm not sure whether that quote was official and for publication, so
don't quote Neural Signals on it...