RE: flare and SIAI

From: Xavier Lumine (dmyshkin@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 20:01:40 MDT

> > >be a large-scale AI system. You'll need efficient and robust GC,
> > >threading,
> > >networking, and so forth.... Sure, this is all known science, but the
> > >difficulties of getting it right are shown by the limitations of many
> > >existing languages in these areas.
> >
> > Those are all features of phase one flare =]
>
>Well dude... if you can get a new language with all these features working
>robustly efficiently in less than a few years, you'll have pulled off the
>greatest achievement in the history of programming languages. Good luck!!
>Maybe it *is* possible now, whereas it wasn't in the past, due to the
>accumulation of knowledge about implementing programming languages. Maybe
>the time to implement a new language will decrease rapidly now that we're
>approaching the Singularity. Who knows?? Life is all about finding out...

I certainly hope it will be possible. I'm known for working 24-hours a day
on something that needs to be done... if it wasn't for my full-time job,
this would be more of a reality. Still, I think that since a lot of elements
of programming languages/compilers/interpreters has already been done, we
have something to work with which would aid the R&D aspect.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Dmitriy