Re: Open AI

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 00:32:07 MDT

Ben wrote in unquotable html:

"I think that the development of human level AI will probably occur through
 the efforts of a small focused team. However, I think that the development
 of *superhuman* AI will occur as you describe.

 It will work like this. A small team will build the roughly human-level AI,
 and the world will get psyched about it. THEN, the code will be opened up,
 and thousands of coders will participate in improving and testing and tuning
various components, contributing their creativity and making the system
 smarter and smarter."

I still don't get this. You described in your other messages that you
expect the completed human-level Webmind to be able to both reprogram
itself and its environment. If this is the case, why does it need a
bunch of very very slow human programmers to help it improve itself?
Wouldn't Webmind be able to improve, test, and tune itself much more
rapidly than realtime? Especially as it has access to faster hardware?

--
Brian Atkins
Director, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence