RE: Open AI

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@webmind.com)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 07:33:56 MDT

> > Just as I myself was a human-equivalent intelligence well
> before I became a
> > master of AI and computer science myself ;)
> >

> Yes, but no one doubled your total number of neurons around age 18.
> And then doubled it again at 19, 20, 21... Do you think doubling a human-
> level Webmind's mind resources would lead to little improvement
> in effective
> intelligence, double improvement, or much more, and why?

Hmmm. Sure, that's a good point. Of course, having more memory would lead
to an improvement in effective intelligence. The problem is that what's
needed to make a WM able to intelligently rewrite its own source is not just
"raw intelligence", but knowledge about CS and AI theory. To get that
knowledge it needs to either read and fully "get" human research papers and
textbooks (which requires not only human-LEVEL intelligence, but a
particular understanding of human language and the pragmatics of human
discourse), or have a lot of long teaching sessions with humans.

I guess the crux of the matter is, I think that we'll achieve

a) HUMAN-LEVEL (BUT RADICALLY NONHUMAN) INTELLIGENCE

somewhat before achieving

b) HUMAN-LEVEL INTELLIGENCE WITH FULL UNDERSTANDING OF THE SUBTLETIES OF
HUMAN LANGUAGE, SCIENCE, CULTURE, ETC.

There's an "alien-ness" factor that has to be overcome between a) and b).

The point at which we can teach it CS and AI theory effectively is somewhere
*between* a) and b)

ben