AI pessimism

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@webmind.com)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 06:07:18 MDT

Just to remind you what an odd little corner of the cultural universe we all
live in...

I was reading Fortune magazine this morning, and they had a little sidebar
in which Tom Mitchell, a CMU AI guru and the incoming president of the
American Association for AI, commented on the recent Spielberg movie "A.I."

Mitchell's comment was that "He got the timing about right... after the melt
of the polar icecaps."

Apparently this dude is not on board the Singularity bandwagon ;p

This is a good summary of the attitude of the mainstream AI community, I
reckon.

-- Ben G