Re: Floppy take-off

From: Joaquim Almgren Gāndara (claw@lords.com)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 09:12:30 MDT

> [...] write an AI tool that only knows how to improve code.

"Improve"? I can see how you could use GA to optimize an algorithm,
but to make it more intelligent? (You can't possibly mean an AI tool
that opmitizes code, since that already exists and would imply that
the Singularity should already have happened.) Are you saying that we
should use an artificial "dumbass" (our newly coined technical term),
aka an idiot savant that is a wiz coder, to make more intelligent
code? That would basically contradict Higgins, who said "others on
this list have argued, quite convincingly, that it would at least have
to be intelligent enough to understand what it was doing". I agree
with him. How would the AI tool know whether it's stumbled upon
something intelligent?

- Joaquim Gāndara
. http://www.ite.mh.se/~joaal98/