Re: Article: The coming superintelligence: who will be in control?

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 13:59:58 MDT

What I really find lacking at the Kurzweilai.net site are some articles
going beyond trend tracking and guessing what will happen. I'd like to see
people take the issue farther and try to figure out a) can we manipulate
the timing and character of the Singularity significantly b) if so, should
we accelerate it? Perhaps Amara could do an article on that with some
of our help? Of course all singularitarians realize the responsibility
to take action to support and accelerate the Singularity safely, but many
other people seem to either not have considered this yet, or are content
to sit back and "let history take its course", which IMO is not rational.

--
Brian Atkins
Director, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence