Re: Motivation; was Dumbasses vs. AI researchers

From: Josh Yotty (joshyotty@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 22:00:01 MDT

Hey.

My high school is full of dumbasses, so I couldn't resist putting my two cents in.

> Has anyone considered motivation? Maybe scientists are smarter because
> they value those specific experiences and thus seek out experiences that
> would make them smarter?

You're very right. Almost none of my fellow high-schoolers are motivated to learn.
There is no *need* for them to learn to get an A. Even my "Web Design" teacher
is little more than cut and paste (and still doesn't know the difference between
markup and programming). It's very, very depressing to see hundreds of students
wasting potential and dozens of teachers who are ignorant.

I guess that when you're in a society where using common sense and acquiring
knowledge is no longer a basic necessity for survival, you stop using your brain.
All you really need is enough people to need your service, no matter how
simplistic.

That's why my shelf (and I presume yours) are loaded with books. Big fat tomes
with little entertainment value.

Or, I could be entirely wrong. I'm writing this under sleep deprivation, so please