RE: Article: The coming superintelligence: who will be in control?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@webmind.com)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 05:19:57 MDT

Brian, I think your analysis of the peculiarities of Kurzweil's world-view
is spot-on, and I also appreciate your clarification that Kurzweil himself
is not the point here -- he's just a particular example of the general
phenomenon that even people who see what's coming, for some reason only are
able to see 90% of it. This is related to what, in my question to Kurzweil
at his talk, I called "hard takeoff denial". What you're pointing out is
something like "Singularity malleability denial" -- refusal to confront the
fact that we, by our intentional actions, may significantly morph the
outcome of this huge transformation that's coming. The combination of these
denials is what I less generously referred to in my post as a kind of
"narrowmindedness", but you said it more pleasantly and more clearly.

Personally, I don't share the confidence of some that the Singularity will
necessarily be good for the human race. I think it has the potential to be
great for us, and also the potential to exterminate us. I'm with Eli, in
believing that we need to specifically work to make it good. I don't
entirely agree with him on the specific AI-engineering mechanisms that will
succeed in this regard, but this is a pretty minor quibble in the big
picture (and perhaps he'll bring me around to his view once he's articulated
it more clearly and fully).

Another point is that there are LOTS of other people who basically see it
our way, but don't feel it's useful to post and read a lot of e-mail
messages about the topic. For instance, most of my Brazilian WM development
team sees these things the same way, roughly, as me and Eli and Brian, but
they prefer to spend their time working on computer science rather than
chatting about philosophy. I felt the same way, and was working toward the
same goals *before* I started posting on this list. So don't assume that
just because some big spokespeople don't fully "get it", those of us who
babble about it a lot are the only ones who get it!!

-- Ben G