Re: Opting out of the Sysop scenario?

From: Durant Schoon (durant@ilm.com)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 13:33:14 MDT

> From: Gordon Worley <redbird@rbisland.cx>
>
> At 11:17 AM -0700 8/6/01, Durant Schoon wrote:
> >Perhaps we can think about it as a legal system. We all agree to obey
> >the rules for our own protection, vs. reverting to anarchy.
>
> Just a point of diction: this reads more like you intended to write
> that rules are supposed to keep us out of dystopia.

Correct. That is what I meant. The rules of the physical UNIX operating
system (formerly Sysop) would keep us out of dystopia (by ensuring
Friendliness).

> >This is
> >a starting point however, because any technologically deficient Legal
> >System can't statisfy everyone. The current U.S. system violates the
> >volition of, say, murderers and adults who want to have sex with
> >children.
>
> Nope. I can't remember if I've written this out anywhere, but here
> is how the non violation of volition system works:
>
> first, consider the volition of the receiver (of the action, message, whatever)
> second, consider the volition of the sender
>
> Just because Alice wants to kill Bob, if Bob doesn't want to be
> killed, his volition overrides that of Alice (or, rather, his
> volition takes precedent in situations where Bob is going to receive
> the action). If nothing else, Alice could trick herself into believe
> that she killed Bob. In the end, we can't respect everyone's
> volition, be we can not violate it (viz. you can't always do what you
> want but you never have to do what you don't want).

I get that. My point is that currently pedophiles don't get what
they want, but they could in a VR enhanced "Friendly" reality.
As long as they do not create any sentients and abuse them.

> >It allows humans to slaughter animals which really annoys
> >members of PETA.
>
> Well, until someone proves that cows have volition, pass the steak.

I was merely trying to illustrate that currently there are many
conflicts of interest. In the future, maybe everyone can get
what they want. How about the volition of human cannibals? With
VR and Friendliness, everyone is happy.

--
Durant Schoon