Re: Opting out of the Sysop scenario?

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 19:33:16 MDT

Gordon Worley wrote:

> I hope, though, we don't actually use the Prime Directive, since that
> would mean leaving millions of minds to die pathetically (OTOH, if no
> one cares enough to do anything, that wouldn't be morally wrong, but
> the option should be open to communicate and help less intelligent
> life forms *if they want it*).

I don't think it takes human actions to help an alien species. An alien
species is covered by citizenship rights. To the Sysop, or to any other
Friendly AI, they're people. Their rights shouldn't be dependent on
whether you or I decide to help. Probably the end result would be more or
less the same as if they'd originated their own local Singularity - each
individual would get more or less the same set of choices.