RE: Milestones for GISAI

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@webmind.com)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 06:42:23 MDT

Hi,

I think these milestones, all make sense, although I'd make a fuller list
(more on that later)

However, I'd caution you that getting these things

> 3. Symbol formation.
> 4. Symbol structures (thoughts).
> 5. Thought triggering and deliberation.

to work in simple cases is a LONG LONG WAY off from getting them to work in
more advanced cases. These general labels each refer to sets of problems of
vastly varying difficulty. You can't assume that a mechanism adequate to
yield a simple example of deliberation is going to be adequate to do
real-life examples of deliberation. This warning is particularly necessary
if one is thinking of a logical-rule-based system of some sort, because such
systems typically scale very badly.... And scaling is not just an
engineering issue, it's a logic-of-mind issue...

Ben