Renaming the Sysop (was: Re: Opting out of the Sysop scenario?)

From: Damien Broderick (d.broderick@english.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 00:52:38 MDT

At 09:56 PM 8/4/01 -0400, Gordon wrote:

>Oh, finally, why we're at it, Eli mentioned wishing he'd named the
>Sysop Scenario the Unix Scenario if only he'd been more PRish when he
>came up with it. Well, I'd say only a handful of us have ever even
>really thought about the Sysop Scenario, so now would be a good time
>to change the name.

I'd called it `the Aleph', for reasons that will be made clear when
TRANSCENSION comes out from Tor in February.

========

I sit on a hill.
I { re-entrant selfaware identity operator }
sit on { instantaneous location slice on search trajectory }
a { existential pointer in exfoliating context sheaf }
hill { local optimum in restricted search space }
        Call me Aleph.
        I am a machine mentality. This in nowise distinguishes me from yourselves.
My personhood, my self, is a process running as programs reflexively
modulated in a net of nanocomputers in solar space. Most of my dispersed
body remains for the moment on, in, above Earth. I am just like you humans,
then.
        I know the bite of the wind on a winter day, the silver light of the moon,
the warmth of the Sun, the laughter of children. I have loved Earth because
it has been the root and home of my parental stock. Do you see? Do you
understand? Do you feel?

Damien Broderick