Re: Opting out of the Sysop scenario?

From: Psy-Kosh (psykosh@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 17:57:08 MDT

> But another way is to trick yourself into believing that such a creature
> exists. You could send your brain (or thinking software if you like) the
> stimulation of a character that "as you perceive" acts the way you want.
> At ILM we do this all the time. The pixels you see that represent invented
> characters are not modelled with internal senses and sensibilities. In VR,
> we could try to model these internal states and behaviors, but taken to
> the extreme, these "synthespians" would eventually qualify as citizens.
> I think the whole thing can be avoided by tricking your brain, instead,
> without ever "giving birth" to an actual sentient entity, it would be
> pure illusion, pixels flashing, the sensation of your sking being touched,
> your hair feeling the wind, without any wind in the first place. Not a
> single emotion would be modelled in the other character. It would all
> be entirely superficial yet entirely convincing.

    But then, how does the illusion "know" what emotions to fake? ie,
somewhere, something is being modeled, right? So, seems to me that,
depending on how consiousness actually turns out to "work", making an
"illusion" of sufficient _apperent_ complexity is equivalent to actually
creating the being.

    A different alternative: Start with an already extant being that just
"plays pretend". Hrm... and where would you find such a being? Why, the
Sysop itself, of course. Vie will "pretend" to be whatever it is your
fantasy is. There won't be any of the ethical issues due to the possible
spawning of a seperate entity, since that isn't what's happening here any
more then an actor playing a part is creating a new being. Note, also, that
if the Sysop, being, pretty much by definition, the highest Power(right?)
couldn't make a convincing act, well, I doubt you'd be able to find a
convincing act/illusion/etc.. anywhere at all.

--
Psy-Kosh
DC2.?/~(~H) N^ R++ Gm Fr+ U--.5 V+[the hypothesis] Q Ac++ S+