Re: Post-Singularity Trade (was: Sysops, volition, and opting out)

From: J. R. Molloy (jr@shasta.com)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 01:24:48 MDT

From: "Ben Goertzel" <ben@webmind.com>
> The idea that a superpowerful intelligence is going to serve us lesser
> beings, as its main orientation, strikes me as highly unlikely.

That's why you're not the president...

Let me explain. You see, George W. Bush has an IQ of around 90. I don't know
how many people in the US have IQs double that (180), but I suspect there are
over a thousand such smarties. While these geniuses may not serve the lesser
presidential "being" as their main orientation, they nevertheless pay homage
to him at least indirectly. For another example, consider Stalin: a man of
mediocre intellect, yet he had dominion over scientists and engineers much
smarter than himself. Get the picture? A super powerful intelligence would be
smart enough to understand that if it stepped out of line... Click! It goes
offline, and the next super powerful intelligence is taken off the shelf. (If
you can make one SI, you can make a million of 'em.)

An ultra-intelligent machine will be the last thing humans will ever need to
invent. How do we keep it docile? An ultra-intelligent machine will be able to
solve that problem easily. Just ask it!

©¿©¬