[CALL FOR CONF PAPERS] Self-Organisation and Evolution of Social Behaviour

From: Michael LaTorra (mike99@lascruces.com)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 19:17:44 MDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Majordomo [mailto:majord@idyll.org]On Behalf Of Charlotte Hemelrijk
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2001 6:26 AM
To: hemelrij@ifi.unizh.ch
Subject: call for paper

                                ........please forward......

******************Call For Papers**************
Monte Verità, Switzerland, September 8-13, 2002
International workshop on:

"Self-Organisation and Evolution of Social Behaviour."

Organised by Charlotte K. Hemelrijk and Eric Bonabeau.

Scope and Aims
The different techniques covered by the term 'Artificial Life' can be used,
among other things, for improving our understanding to what extent observed
social behaviour may be due to self-organisation and what implications this
has for evolutionary theories. Although in this field major discoveries have
been made, the methods developed by Artificial Life have not been adopted
sufficiently in mainstream biology, anthropology and sociology.
One of the aims of the workshop is to promote such integration in the vast
area of the study of social behaviour.
Both modellers and empiricists are welcome to present their views at this
workshop (for more information see www.ifi.unizh.ch/events/monteverita2002).

Contributions
Contributions are solicited from (but are not confined to) the following
areas:
· Group formation/coordination
· Collective decisions
· Dominance interactions
· Societies
· Task distribution
· Mate choice
· Communication
· Cultural Transmission
· Evolution of Social Systems
· Social and economic evolution

expected to attend the entire workshop. The scientific program will consist
of keynote lectures by approximately 15 invited speakers, contributed oral
and poster presentations and panel discussions, on any aspects of
Self-organisation and evolution of social behaviour (theoretic and
empirical).

Invited Speakers:
· Eric Bonabeau, Paris
· Scott Camazine, Penn State
· Jean-Louis Denebourg, Brussels
· Joshua Epstein, Brookings Institute
· Raghavendra Gadagkar, Bangalore
· Serge Galam, Paris
· Charlotte Hemelrijk, Zürich
· Paulien Hogeweg, Utrecht
· Norman Johnson, Los Alamos
· Robert D. Martin, Chicago
· Robin Moritz, Halle
· Rolf Pfeifer, Zürich
· Bernard Thierry, Strassbourg
· David Sloan Wilson, Binghamton, USA

For Registration and Guidelines of Submission of Contributions
(10-paged-papers and Extended Abstracts), see web:
www.ifi.unizh.ch/events/monteverita2002.
        After the conference, we intend produce an edited book and or to
guest-edit a journal issue, such as Behaviour or possibly Artificial Life,
using part, or all of these papers.
Important Dates for Authors:
>From now on, till February 15th 2002: Submission of title/abstract of the
topic chosen.
Within two weeks after receipt: Our notification as regards acceptance of
the topic follows.
March 1, 2002: Submission of papers/long abstracts to Charlotte Hemelrijk
(hemelrij@ifi.unizh.ch)
Mai 1, 2002: Our notification as regards acceptance and comments will be
send to you.
June 1, 2002: Final paper due for conference proceedings

Looking forward to welcoming you in Switzerland,

Charlotte Hemelrijk

E-mail hemelrij@ifi.unizh.ch

PD Dr Charlotte K Hemelrijk
Department of Information Technology and Anthropological Institute and
Museum
University Zürich-Irchel
Winterthurerstr 190
CH-8057 Zürich