Replicating factories project

From: Dani Eder (danielravennest@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 10:01:01 MDT

Thinking alone won't bring about a Singularity, you
need to implement the thoughts in the world of matter
and energy. While Drexlerian assemblers are still
undeveloped, we have a macroscopic self-replicating
system in our industrial infrastructure. That
infrastructure still requires a lot of people to
run it, though. What I am interested in is
self-replicating systems that are entirely automated.
Especially ones that are relatively small and have
fast reproduction times.

For example, a simple system might be a set of modular
solar powered robots. The robots are made of a number
of identical modules, each of which has some solar
cells, a movable joint, a battery, various sensors,
and some computation power. The robots have stored
within them the plans for a module production line,
including all the machines and processing equipment
back to raw materials extraction. How many robots
would it take, and how long would it take them to
start copying themselves? Would this method be
more effective than simply ordering parts?

As far as what am I actually doing, I'm investing in
a robotic factory that can produce finished building
panels (about 8x40 ft size) which can be bolted
together into finished buildings. In particular, they
can build copies of their own factory building.
This is a step in the right direction, and I expect
to make money off the investment.

Dani Eder