Re: Expert System Seed AI

From: Simon McClenahan (peepsplat@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 17:20:34 MDT

I'll assume by "programming is not enough" you are talking about architecture
and design. That knowledge could be programmed or hard-coded in as well.
Object-oriented design patterns and architecture patterns can be programmed in
to the system. The system can then detect OO design patterns in existing code
(especially itself). Perform some refactoring on itself, or try to
"supercompile" itself, perform profiling and ask a human programmer to help
optimize hotspots or recommend faster hardware.

As for understanding the design goals, that is the job of the human programmers
of the Expert System. The programming domain specific human programmer experts
enter in their knowledge of programming. The design goals would probably be
categorized into resource optimization (CPU speed, network latency), design
patterns, algorithms, data structures, etc. A rule would look like "if algorithm
A is a bottleneck then use algorithm B with data structure X as a component of
design pattern P"

Maybe it would be easier if we got the best known NLP parsers to assist and help
input rules into the engine.