Re: Time and Minds

From: aominux (aominux@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 15:26:19 MDT

No matter how disgustingly sick this sounds, after spending a certain amount
of time in a hedonistic environment you WILL begin to desire pain. It
doesn't matter whether or not you can conceive this now.

I doubt any of us could go million subjective years before desiring a
pre-singularity simulation, let alone an infinity. The sick truth is that
we don't desire happiness; we desire sensory stimulation.

Besides, since you could consume an entire subjective human life in a
fraction of a second in post-singularity times, it wouldn't seem like much
of a sacrifice. We will/do desire variety and we will get it.

On a related note, the odds that we are not in a simulation are impossible
to compute since we would have to assume the that we were in a simulation.
However, if we trust that our world is based on a backup of the future's
past, it doesn't take much time to figure the probability of a single human
life being in the "real world." Humans have been around for far under one
million years and we still have billions of years until our sun expires.
Many many many more humans will exist beyond this point in history than
before it. You chances of experiencing pre-singularity firsthand are slim
to none.

Even this is pessimistic because this is to say that when the sun expires
humanity will pass with it. However, once the singularity is achieved, we
will undoubtedly move out of the galaxy anyhow.

Finally, I would appreciate it if you would stop using Re: Time and Minds
if you're post has nothing to do with the original purpose of this topic:
Minds and time travel.

Sincerely apologizing for grammatical errors and sl4 violations,
aominux