Re: Time and Minds

From: Xavier Lumine (dmyshkin@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 14:49:07 MDT

Such a number is impossible to estimate to any closer than two magnitudes. I
can only say that such processing power is available today for a reasonable
price (thousands, not millions, of dollars).

Are you asking what the operations per second will be on the AI which might
cause the Singularity?

The only concrete numbers I can give relate to the possible hardware
configuration of the cluster which we plan to run the seed AI on:

27 boards, each with 1 or 2 Celeron or Pentium 3 processors, at 1 GHz each.
Not sure what the ops/clock on the respective processors are (4? 6?)

Regards,
Dmitriy Myshkin
Head, Flare Project