Re: New website: The Simulation Argument

From: James Rogers (jamesr@best.com)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2001 - 15:19:26 MST

On 12/2/01 12:56 PM, "Gordon Worley" <redbird@rbisland.cx> wrote:

> Even if there is some reason to run a simulation, there is no need to
> create a simulation. Rather, SIs can play out scenarios based on
> knowledge of the algorithms of human minds and their environment.

Perhaps, but sometimes the only way to "compute" complex scenarios is to
actually run them; many problems cannot be efficiently solved through
reduction. This kind of brings into question what a "simulation" is
actually defined as for these purposes. Generally speaking, I don't see any
difference between "simulation" and "computation" other than a rather
arbitrary delineation based on subject matter.

-James Rogers
 jamesr@best.com