Re: Ancestral simulations and happy puppeteers

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 08:10:07 MST

On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 01:43 AM, Alden Jurling wrote:

> Most people would not object to a puppet show. Many people would and do
> object to tormenting animals purely for entertainment. And nearly
> everyone
> objects to slavery.

I guess I need to break something down, because though I thought it was
obvious people seem to be missing it.

We could very well be in a puppet show RIGHT NOW and have no idea about
it. The reason is that, just like when you play a role playing game or
act a part in a play, you forget how you really are and focus on the
play. It doesn't seem like a big deal, because it's only for a little
while and it's easy to jump back. Now, imagine that an SI is doing the
same thing, only playing the part of a human. But, after what seems
like years to us, we forget that we're really an SI. I could be a great
Power back in reality, but in here I'm a lowly college student acting
out a part. It could be that we've chosen to forego the ability to
unmask ourselves so that the game/play is more realistic.

But, as always, I think we're getting nowhere fast on these simulation
threads. There simply isn't enough evidence to figure things out for
sure, but all of us are good at setting up proofs (myself included) that
we do/don't live in a simulation *assuming* x, y, and z.

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose