Re: New Term: Apexmind?

From: Damien Broderick (d.broderick@english.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 21:07:10 MST

At 08:23 PM 10/8/01 -0400, Eliezer wrote:

>the term "apexmind" may provoke a negative
>reaction. Humans have a certain instinctive interpretation of hierarchies
>and the things that appear to be living at the top of them, and that is
>precisely *not* what a Sysop (for example) really is. A Sysop is
>substrate, not commander.
>
>"Apex", to me, connotes "on top". A singleton isn't the one on top of the
>social hierarchy, but is rather the only one on the bottommost layer of
>reality.

Isn't that exactly what Mitch Howe was speaking of, though?

< Apexmind: A superintelligence with the final word on how resources are
allocated and how the affairs of all other minds are regulated. >

I'd suggest Prefect: one delegated the authority to maintain discipline. It
has unpleasant school connotations, of course, as well as interesting
French judicial overtones; just so.

Damien Broderick