Re: The inevitability of death, or the death of inevitability?

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Sun Dec 09 2001 - 00:22:11 MST

On Sunday, December 9, 2001, at 01:52 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" wrote:
>
>> Yes, well, I have some experience with the bizarre matrix of
>> self-reinforcing misinterpretations that usually results in such a
>> statement. You don't appear to be an advanced case, and hopefully can
>> be
>> extracted from whatever corner you're currently wedging yourself into.
>
> Or put another way, "I go to the Church of Science Fiction, and I can't
> be bothered to let
> messy little problems like logic, mathematical epistemology, and the
> scientific method
> interfere with my supposition."

[yawn] Hey, did everyone forget the intelligent flame rule? These are
putting me to sleep (albeit it was a bit exciting to actually see the
torches pulled out on SL4).

While I'm on a matter of list behavior, will you folks out there PLEASE
stop quoting the whole message when you reply unless it's actually
relevant. If you want to reply to the whole thing, just quote a couple
of lines so we'll all know which message it's in reply to. Also, HTML
e-mail is an annoyance above all others. The message is twice the real
length is hard to read because everyone but me seems to think that 9pt
[pick a Sans-Serif font] is a good font-face for e-mail messages.

> C'mon, man, this whole discussion deserves better than that. The
> priors drive the
> conclusions, Eli; the conclusions don't say anything about the priors.

You seem to be shooting yourself in the foot here. It looks to me like
Eliezer took the priors (your rather silly comment and a knowledge of
them (I've even made them in the short period I refer to as my Youth (it
comes after the time I was in Sponge mode and before my current Adult
mode (and before my future Post mode)) so I concur on the validity of
the prior)) and drew an appropriate conclusion.

Now, last time I checked there was a reason that I don't subscribe to
that anti entropy list.

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose