RE: Adaptive Intelligence Inc - Incubation

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 09:31:01 MST

***
>>and understand our willingness to get real AI done by hook or by
crook.

Why waste time making it friendly, then, if all you are concerned about
is getting some AI, regardless of its nature, ownership or purpose, out
the door... sounds a bit like a trophy mentality?
***

My opinion is that creating general AI is 99% of the work, and making it
Friendly
is the other 1%. I don't think Friendliness is irrelevant or unimportant,
I just don't
think it's one of the toughest problems we face in the real AI space.

**
Funded by the corporate world and tariffed by the corporate world are
quite different things - in several parts, I am sure whichever AI
emerges will have some sort of corporate funding at some point along the
line, but I don't agree with a company releasing Acme General AI 1.0.
***

I have enough business experience by now to know that General AI is not a
product.

There will be various particular-market-focused General AI based software
applications, long
before there is an AI of human-level intelligence..

By the time we have human-level intelligence, we'll have a serious
international ethical debate about the
propriety of anyone owning such an intelligence. But getting to the point
where this debate is interesting
to the general public, *may* require substantial corporate funding, and
productizing of subhuman-level
general AI systems.

ben