Re: The inevitability of death, or the death of inevitability?

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Sat Dec 29 2001 - 18:39:45 MST

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> Perhaps we should commence communicating only in higher-order
probabilistic
> term logic. I think this would work better than XML, which was
previously proposed
> on this or the extropians list as a future means of human
communication ;-)

Careful... language is ambiguous for a reason: that ambiguity
yields flexibility. IMO, "the semantic Web" --- i.e., explicit
encoding of all sorts of knowledge explicitly as XML metadata
embedded in the Web's hypertext --- is a terrible, unworkable idea.
We need better tools for extracting "messy" semantics from ambiguous
languages. So yes, I agree with you: probabilistic logics over
ambiguous, unstructured data are better tools for exchanging
*knowledge* than graph structures connecting explicit, structured
data.

jb