Re: Open Mind Common Sense project

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Jan 06 2002 - 10:31:47 MST

Actually, my opinion on the Open Mind project remains as previously
asserted: The gathered information of the Open Mind project is useless to
an AI. Maybe a human research team will be able to do something
interesting with it, like investigate clustering in human opinion space,
but to an AI it is raw, opaque, ungrounded, unsemantic data. There is
thus little point in debating what use the information would be to an AI;
it only appears as information to *us* because we are already general
intelligences, capable of human language comprehension, with a
pre-existing, experientially grounded English lexicon. To an AI the Open
Mind corpus is not information, it is noise. The entire Open Mind project
is based on a fundamentally misguided approach to intelligence, Good
Old-Fashioned AI at its worst, and its only innovative aspect is that it
has roped in a large audience of to-be-disappointed Internet volunteers.