Re: Google as a noise source

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 19:31:22 MST

On Tuesday, January 8, 2002, at 07:29 PM, tonyg@kcbbs.gen.nz wrote:

> Compare this "external memory" to your *own* memory, which went
> through very careful filtering as it was laid down. You trust your own
> memory, because you collected all that information yourself. Extending
> similar levels of trust to google is probably a mistake.

That's actually a pretty big assumption. Just think of how many people
(including the smart people who you thought would be wise enough not to
fall for it) believe what they read in the news on April 1st (that's
April Fools Day for those of you in countries without this tradition).
Unless someone is peer reviewing an article, if it looks authoritative
and factual, ve'll probably just accept it as fact.

I don't disagree with you, though. I just think that you're making a
big assumption.

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose