Re: Alpha-Point computing

From: Paul Hughes (psiphius@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 09:04:43 MST

--- "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience@pobox.com>
wrote:

> "Alpha Point" computing is if you spawn off a new
> universe and perform an
> infinite (or, at a bare minimum, an astronomically
> large) number of
> computations during the infinite (or astronomically
> large) energy
> densities of that universe's Big Bang. "Alpha Line"
> computing, a term
> coined by yours truly, is if you transfer your
> computing patterns to yet
> another universe as soon as the first one starts to
> cool down, and so on

Fantastic! That is way fun speculation. Right up my
alley. It's funny you should mention all this. Many
years ago I had the same notion, although less
rigorously articulated, that there may have been
enough computation taking place in the first Planck
instant for some kind of sentience to emerge. An idle
speculation really. More funny still is I recently
asked Damien Broderick about this when he mentioned it
briefly during his interview on Kurzweil.net.

Nice to see your brain is working better than ever
Eli.

> Meanwhile, please remember that your full address
> is:

> Virgo Supercluster
> Socrates Universe

I like the name. The question is, will the final
utterance of the great collective of all intelligence
in the Socrates universe utter, "I drank what?".
With recent evidence of accelerating expansion,
hopefully we will find a way out of this universe when
it no longer can sustain intelligence in any form.

Paul Hughes