RE: Steve Harris, "Return of the Krell Machine" (Singularity Article)

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 18:11:00 MST

> > I would say, rather: Maybe programming benignity
> > early on will have a
> > beneficial effect on later-stage superintelligent
> > AI, or maybe it won't.
> >
> > Furthermore, of all the ways I have seen of
> > attracting investor dollars,
> > this has to be one of the most indirect and
> > unworkable ;>
>
> I think we are in agreement here Ben. I beleieve that
> one of the keys to creating an SI is understanding in
> as much detail as possible how our own brains work.

Actually, I don't agree with that! I think that is one possible path to
creating a artificial intelligence, but not the only possible path; and I
suspect that it *won't* be the first path followed. I suspect that AI will
move faster than brain science in the next decade, even though it's lagged
behind in the past 2 decades.

> That much I think everyone agrees on. I go further
> however and strongly suggest that another key is to
> fine-tune the neuro-logic behind the complex array of
> chemical activity which makes us 'emotionally happy'.
> This idea of creating an SI that is the
> super-embodiment of Spock speaks more about the person
> suggesting it that any true SI.

Yes, I do agree there. In all probability an SI will have its own complex
of emotional motivations, different from ours but not "absolutely rational"
in any sense...

ben