RE: Ethical basics

From: gabriel C (drachyneyes@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 19:25:52 MST

hmm...

>"This state of mind, which subordinates the interests of the ego to the
>conservation of the community, is really the first premise for every truly
>human culture....By this we understand only the individual's capacity to
>make sacrifices for the community, for his fellow men." -- Adolf Hitler --
>Oct. 7, 1933

1. "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your
country"

JFK, roughly quoted, same sentiment, different country. Being a bad guy
(Hitler) doesn't contaminate every word that ever came out of your mouth.

>"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And
>intends to be the master." (Ayn Rand)

2. Probably everyone on this list has read Ayn Rand, and most of us have
probably read just about all of her material. Then we took what we could
learn from it, and moved on, incorporating it into our meme structures.
That's what I did. I learned a lot from Rand's writing but I noticed a key
thing: She forgot that "no man is an island". Howard Roark and John Galt are
superhuman in their abilities (not to mention their companions), but readers
usually pay that no mind, enamored of the books as they are. However it is
of prime importance to realize that. That is the reason that a person's
belief system should NOT be set on a foundation of Rand's philosophy. It is
simply too extreme, putting principles before practicality.

regards,
gabe