Re: Ethical basics

From: Chris Cooper (coop666@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 13:01:24 MST

Michael Roy Ames wrote:
>Cripes... I certainly hope so! One of the most desirable things about a
>'post-Singularity digital existence' would be the ability to *choose*
>exactly how much, how long, what kind of emotions to expose yourself to.
>Right now, I'm pretty much at the mercy of my own emotions... sure, I can
>control my _actions_ but my emotions will have thier way with me. How much
>better it will be when I have better (total!) control over that.

Instead of waiting for the Singularity, perhaps you should first try some
meditation, or at least alternate nostril breathing!

Besides, why worry about controlling your emotions in a Sysop- governed
existence? You won't be allowed to come to harm, or be harmed by others, so
relax and enjoy those paralyzing waves of doubt and despair! Your
post-singularity self might even savor those unpleasant feelings, the same way
some folks enjoy the taste of caviar or Limburger cheese. You'll be an Emotion
Gourmet!

COOP