Re: 3rd Annual SL4 Ascetics-Hedonists Deathmatch

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 02:07:36 MST

On Saturday, January 26, 2002, at 02:24 AM, DarkVegeta26@aol.com wrote:

> <<In the past year and a half that I've been in love I have probably
> thought and rethought my theory of love 10 times or more. >>
>
> Did rethinking your theory of love help inspire you to rethink your
> theories
> in other areas of you life as well? Then it would be of true value.

Well, it would likely be of `true value' then, whatever you mean by that.

> <<Maybe in
> about five years I'll have something approaching a stable theory>>
>
> Human love nearly always be described as "being a slave to the
> bioevolutionary force which happens to be millions of times slower and
> restrictive than the potential of technological or memetic evolution,
> which
> is our real salvation, but we don't care, because we like that
> opiate-like
> feeling when we're around _____ girl who could be much better than she
> is,
> who could actually inspire me, if she was a
> countersphexist/Singularitarian/AI researcher/extremely novel/etc.".

Perhaps that would work for a normative human. Last time I checked,
though, I was actively pursuing behavior that is non normative for
humans.

One thing that bugs me a bit in your reasoning is that you assume that
the Singularity is beyond a doubt the most important thing ever. I
certainly think that the Singularity is important and want to make it
happen, but I have other things on my mind than what will happen to me
for the rest of my life. I spend a lot of time on programming projects
concerned with here and now problem spaces. I spend time writing about
the Singularity and making it easier for others to learn about it. I do
very little that will make the Singularity happen today. I'm not too
worried, though. Lots of different skills are needed and in the end I
may provide some key bit of info to reach the Singularity safely. On
the other hand, maybe I'm screwing everything up by keeping on with my
life without the Singularity on top of my goal system. Well, I don't
know what's going to happen, so I do what I think is best for me and
hope that things turn out well for the universe, too.

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose