Re: 3rd Annual SL4 Ascetics-Hedonists Deathmatch

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 11:07:51 MST

Gordon Worley wrote:

> Not to be rude, but this fascination with spiting the norm to spite it
> seems to be pretty adolescent behavior. If I'm going to take on the
> world, I make sure that I've got a damn good reason first.

Or as I once said to a friend of my little brother's, when said friend
wanted to make arbitrary changes to the rule of some game (I forget what)
in order to "make it interesting":

"Don't violate rules for the sake of violating them. If you violate only
those rules for which you have a vastly superior alternative, you will
still have more than enough trouble to last you the rest of your life."