RE: AI and Moore's Law redux

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 13:00:41 MST

There is a distinction between explicit and implicit knowledge that
has to be made here. N items in memory have 2^N combinations, and so
there *is* exponential increase of knowledge implicit in linear
increase in memory.

However, when knowledge is reprsented only implicitly, it takes
processing time to sort it out, so one has a time-space tradeoff.

This very crudely put point is really at the heart of AI design.

ben