META: quoting

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 19:40:20 MST

Okay, this has been getting on my nerves for the past few days and I
think I'll fuss about it. :-P

It seems that lately a number of people have been quoting previous
messages as such:

<< xxx
some message here

Well, I don't know about everyone else, but I find these messages hard
to read. Normal quoting style (a quote character(s) all down the left
most column(s)) makes it immediately clear to the eye what is old and
what is new. Rather than being able to quickly scan quoted material for
a refresher, though, I'm having to read everything. Especially since I
have to really watch to see where a quote ends and new text begins.

I know that some mail clients may simply not do standard quoting. I
have used the above style myself on an occasion or two when I was stuck
in some mail client that wouldn't let me make text quoted so I manually
quoted text this way. By my estimation, there may be a handful of
people on the list using such mail clients.

Most MUAs have the ability to enquote and dequote text in your
messages. Use it, please. I doubt that I'm the only person who'd like
to have messages that are easy to read. Thanks.

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose