Re: Telling the world

From: Josh Yotty (joshyotty@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 00:05:21 MST

From: "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience@pobox.com>
>One good way to reduce the probability of such events is not to discuss
>them in public. Private, yes. A problem doesn't go away when you stop
>thinking about it. But in public, discussing violence generally makes
>violence more likely to occur. That's the general reason. The other
>reason is that religious fanatics do not think, strategically, in the same
>way as Singularitarians, and we should avoid doing their thinking for
>them.

So much for a "Ways to kill singularitarians" thread on SL4.

Seriously, however, the method was obvious (and is frequently used). My
focus was not on discussing the ways we could die but discussing the spread
information in such a way that the religious cry "Blasphemy!" instead of
"Let's [insert method here] those bastards!"

- Josh Yotty