Re: Singularity Memetics.

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 11:50:12 MST

Alan Grimes wrote:

> While I continue to support AI/Nanotech, I at the same time demand
> strong assurances from everyone whom I work with on singulatarian
> activities that I will never be subject to such a process...

Uploading, like everything else in the universe, is supposed to be
voluntary. That said, I hope for your sake that given time and education
you can overcome your fear of uploading and join the rest of the human
universe.

The actual question of whether an upload is "really you" has been
exhausted on the Extropians list and is prohibited on SL4. This does not
mean that everyone is required to assume that uploading will work and/or
is philosophically acceptable. It means that you state your opinion (yes,
no, whatever) where it is required as a premise, but do not argue that
opinion on SL4.

The reason for this is that the nature of uploading is one of the eternal
dead-horse topics on Extropians, and I have no intention of letting the
same thing happen to SL4.