Re: Sadness on voluntary death (was: Singularity Memetics)

From: Alan Grimes (alangrimes@starpower.net)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 12:32:54 MST

Ben: thanks for being your normal sage self! Unfortunately, Eliezer will
require more work...

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
> > I'm not sure why you'd be deeply saddened by this, Eli. Your
>> compassion is laudable, but I worry that it is accompanied by a
>> certain lack of empathy and understanding for world-views very
>> different from your own.

....> I respect your right to make your own
> choices, even wrong choices. It doesn't make the choices any less
> wrong.

AHA! There's that famous ego. "I beleive it is wrong therefore it is an
absolute truth that it is wrong."

Right and wrong can only be discussed in the context of an endeavour, in
that "It is wrong to do X in persuit of Y because it is ineffective/etc"
or "Doing X is the right way to get Y because it is most efficient."

This sense of morality comes *ONLY* from your ego, even Freud knew
that...

To gain wisdom you must recognise this and accept the relativistic
viewpoint.

> Every human's death diminishes me;

You say that as if each human's life somehow belonged to you... Please
convey to your ego that they do not... I know its not urgent now but
before the singularity, You really must deliver this message otherwise I
fear what you may do with increased powers and this aditude.

> > And is it *bad* for the people involved if it's their choice. I
>> don't see why, necessarily.

> Because they will die.

And why is that bad?

> Nobody, in a world without hatred, would invent hatred for aesthetic
> purposes.

How about for the purpose of vitality?

--
DOS LIVES! MWAHAHAHAHA