Re: A Power's Nostalgia of Hairy-Ape-Life (was: Re: Singularity Memetics.)

From: ben goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 18:09:12 MST

> The Singularity is "arch-anarchy", freedom from all possible
> restraints, including those of the laws of physics (when within a
simulation,
> for sure).

This is an exaggerated statement, I'm afraid.

Insofar as my human mind can deal with such issues, I'll have to say:
**future minds will escape the laws of physics inside simulations, but they
will not escape the laws of mathematics.** The laws of mathematics
MAY pose serious limitations on intelligence at some point, and even
limitations on the possible happiness of ultra-intelligent beings, who
knows.

Yes, perhaps the laws of math will seem like nothing to the superintelligent
superbeing. But if we're going to extrapolate this far, we should do it to
the best of our knowledge, and the best of our knowledge is that math
poses limitations in all Turing and quantum computable systems, and
all systems we can conceive in any detail.

-- Ben G