Re: Singularity as religion: good shell for public meme

From: Alden Jurling (nakomus@cnsp.com)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 23:06:01 MST

This might be useful in promoting the meme. However, Faiths and churches tend to discourage dissent and discussion. I don't want the person who creates the first Seed AI to take it on Faith that Eliezer's (or anyone else's for that matter) design for is actually safe.
With SI and Nanotech you are very much playing with fire, I would rather have less help then from people who are doing it out of reasons of Faith rather then logic. Also there is the possibility (very distant possibility I think) that in the process of approaching the Singularity we will uncover some very good reason to not continue, if thats happened it would be good if every was not convinced the Singularity was our Destiny.
Call my biased if you will, but the bottom line is, I don't trust Religions.
-Alden Jurling