RE: Microsoft aflare

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 21:25:59 MST

> I find it highly implausible that Microsoft would find features
> to steal from
> Flare rather than the multitude of languages that have existed
> for a very long
> time. Sincerely, good luck with Flare, but if I was in charge, I would be
> focusing my efforts elsewhere.
>
> cheers,
> Simon

1) Eliezer, as he's stated many times, IS presently focusing his efforts
elsewhere (i.e. on seed AI design)

2) Even if Flare never catches on (as I suspect it won't), it is often the
case that little, obscure, innovative languages provide inspiration for yet
other little obscure innovative language, etc. etc. -- *eventually*
providing partial inspiration for some popular, widely used language. For
instance, OO programming as embedded in C++ and Java has its roots in a
number of earlier obscure academic languages, not just Smalltalk...

-- Ben G