Re: Microsoft aflare

From: Eugene Leitl (Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 03:09:16 MST

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Samantha Atkins wrote:

> Frankly I think Flare is much to married to XML to have a chance of
> developing into a truly innovative and effective language.

For the record, I claim AI is a large scale massively numerical (not
necessarily float, in fact a I would advice to stick to integers strictly)
crunch application. Plus, bootstrapping resources are rather excessive, as
you have to necessarily traverse more barren fitness landscapes first.

Given that your first implementation will be based on a commodity cluster
(possibly, commodity cluster with a few kNodes), I don't see how you can
evade using ANSI C and MPI as the implementation layer, and be completely
agnostic about elementaries like internode bandwidth and messaging
latency.

Your first fielded alpha must demonstrate robust (i.e. not dying an
instant death) modification of its own code base as a first milestone.

Whatever languages you use, they must fit those rather harsh initial
boundary conditions.