RE: Seed AI milestones - Explicit Knowlege Codification

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 14:42:27 MST

> > A human baby has no inbuilt knowledge base (at least no one has
> shown that
> > it does), but it has inbuilt procedures such as grasping, wiggling and
> > sucking... and many more such procedures that kick in during
> development...
> > and these procedures are well-tuned to help it survive in the
> environment
> > it's born into (an environment that includes responsive adult humans).
>

> More importantly, it has an efficient "learning machine" built
> in. The simpler this "learning machine" is, the more likely we
> humans will be able to build something at least as good.

The inbuilt learning machine is more sophisticated than the inbuilt
reflexes, but in my view it is NOT more important. Neither can
pragmatically succeed without the other. A general-purpose learning
machine, if it had no inbuilt learning-friendly procedures built in, would
take BY FAR unacceptably too long to learn anything about the world.

I don't think a baby's inbuilt learning machine is simple at all, by the
way. But I also think we can build something at least as good ;->

-- ben g