RE: Seed AI milestones - Explicit Knowlege Codification

From: Eugene Leitl (Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 02:43:46 MST

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Ben Goertzel wrote:

> 1) one had the right type of hardware to create a human-baby-like body as
> well as brain

Actually, the brain is flexible enough to learn to drive a minimal
telepresence puppet. Also, one would ideally build an artificial reality
box, which apart from being exempt from physical constraints has the added
advantage of being able to run much faster than realtime.

> 2) one had a detailed map of the human brain and body to use as a blueprint
> for constructing a particular baby-like system using this type of hardware

We're certainly getting the imaging capabilities, especially considered
destructive cryoAFM imaging of vitrified critters over the next two
decades. Which is probable also the time scale at which usable hardware
comes online.

> then YES, you're right, that approach would be simplest.
>
> However, neither of these conditions holds. Thus it is not at all clear to
> me that the approach you propose is simplest.
>
> Just because there is no adequate general-intelligence design in the
> published research literature, or in your own mind, does not prove such
> a thing does not exist ;->

It would be really interesting to see this approach to succeed. I will be
amazed, but I'll be the first one to open a bottle to celerbrate.