The Revolution Refuses To Slow Down And Explain Itself

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Mar 03 2002 - 05:50:33 MST

Jason Duncan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to the singularity and I am currently reading the documents on the
> web site. Im starting to see the big picture and all the little pieces. But
> what Im not very clear about is the general debat that is going on here
> between you guys. What are the major competing AI designs and what are the
> general things that set them apart from one another? Just a general overview
> of the differing philosophys or even a place where i can find such a thing
> would be great. Thanks a lot.

Key rules of SL4 (formal and informal) include:

1) Use correct spelling and punctuation, including apostrophes.

2) SL4 is not for discussion of the basics! If you can't figure out what's
going on, ask people privately, use Google, check the list archives. When
disputants manage to confuse long-time list readers, then it may indicate
that someone is being too obscure, but we can't slow down all discussion on
the list every time someone new joins; someone new joins almost once every
three days.

3) I already asked you not to post until you'd lurked for a while. Your
post should have been sent to me, not the list. *In my capacity as
moderator*, I now request and require that you not post again until you have
lurked on SL4 for at least a month. Please feel free to send email to me
personally.

4) If you mangle spelling or punctuation, we are an order of magnitude less
likely to tolerate conceptual errors or newbieness. Please bear this in
mind when and if you begin posting again.

5) Unfortunately we severely lack Web resources for helping newcomers get
up to speed. If this bothers you, write some.

6) SL4, despite appearances, is not about competing AI designs. That's
just something that Ben and I go into every now and then while arguing about
how not to blow up the world. Again: READ THE ARCHIVES.

http://sysopmind.com/archive-sl4/