RE: Transcendental Fiction List

From: mike99 (mike99@lascruces.com)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 19:54:48 MST

Yes, Damien, you're welcome. And you're certainly correct about Vinge: I
neglected to include the all-important qualifying word "book" in my original
statement.

Isn't it strange that Prof. Vinge never wrote a non-fiction book about the
Singularity or even about strong-AI? Perhaps he didn't write at length about
the former topic because, as he has said more than once, he believes that
the Singularity is a barrier as impenetrable to foreknowledge as a black
hole. But I am still surprised that he has written so little about
strong-AI, except for a few essays that suggest various ways it may come
about and hint that it could even exist within the Net long before we
recognize its presence.

Michael LaTorra

mike99@lascruces.com
mlatorra@nmsu.edu