Re: Uploading and sensory deprivation

From: Eugene Leitl (Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 06:45:23 MST

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Nathan Russell wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, how many folks here think sensory deprivation
> would be a serious issue for a recent upload, especially if people are
> being uploaded in large numbers prior to the singularity? Getting a
> brain, one neuron at a time, into a computer may well be far easier than
> giving said brain inputs from a world sufficiently similiar to reality
> to not feel like living in Toy Story! I don't know if insanity would be

You're wrong. If you can do an upload, the resources required dwarf that
of an artificial reality renderer by many orders of magnitude. Plus, you
could use a telepresence puppet.

> a problem, but "what if the rest of my life is like this?" would be, at
> least for me.

Whole point of an upload is self modification, driven by adaptation and
co-evolution (the others). You'll become rather inhuman, rather quick.